Tuesday 8 July 2008

Echinaceas

Since we bought the house and have had a garden I've gone through several different plant discovery phases. It started with cannas - inspired after seeing so many beautiful ones in Vienna last year. Then came the verbascum phase (I now have 8 species) and now I'm into Echinaceas.

There is something about echinaceas - even the more 'boring' ones are lovely. The shape of the flowers - the huge centre and the dainty petals really appeals to me. The ones that stand out the most are the newer varieties that not only have the lovely shape, but also vibrant colours and sweet fragrances. It's hard to select my favourites, but these are among them.
Summer sky

Harvest moon



Tiki torch



Coconut lime



Sunrise


Sunset



Twilight



After midnight



White swan

Of course I don't have all of these as they are not cheap. I am trying 2 varieties from seed at the moment so if that goes well I shall get some more seeds next year.

1 comment:

Scriptor Senex said...

Not sure about Coconut Lime but love Sunrise and After Midnight.