Wednesday 12 August 2009

Planting combinations

I've spent many hours looking through gardening books and on the internet trying to find the best plants to group together, but as yet I've rarely managed to get it right in practice. Either a key plant dies or never flowers (as was the case with all my delphiniums and echinaceas that I had such high hopes for) or decides to flower a whole two months earlier than it says in the books (we did have a particularly warm spring) or flowers late because it is only the first year of growth.

Consequently most of my perennials have moved at least twice in an attempt to group things sensibly.

This month there is one little area of the garden that I am particularly pleased with and have no plans to change. It consists of a patch of only three plants: Persicaria amplexicaulis 'firetail', the beautiful Calamagrostis acutiflora 'overdam' grass and Monarda (commonly known as the herb Bergamot) 'Cambridge scarlet'.

3 comments:

holdingmoments said...

They compliment each other perfectly Helen.
I have similar problems in my small garden; things grow, some don't. This year I've planted most of my new ones in large pots, and group them together.

Scriptor Senex said...

Looks beautiful. I think I'd need to stay home a bit more and stop gallivanting around the country before I could get the combinations right.

Graham Edwards said...

Oh gosh, Helen. You are making me feel so guilty. I haven't even managed to get my grass garden planted yet.